Sunday 21 July 2013

17 Sleeps!

The final prep before going to Ecuador has begun! The nice little pile in my living room is slowly beginning to grow... first simply a backpack and gloves, it now includes a sleeping bag, various T-shirts, uniforms and socks. Due to the culture of Ecuador our group has to be careful as to what clothing items we wear. Spaghetti strap tank tops, V-necks, and shorts above the knees are all clothing items we have to avoid. Being a teenager means that my closest consists mainly of those items, and I therefore have a fair amount of shopping to do. I recently made a trip to MEC, where I picked out a new sleeping bag and a compression sac. When choosing what compression sac would work best, the employee helping me showed me two sacs, one smaller and the other larger. He recommended I go with the larger one because I might have trouble packing up the sleeping bag into a smaller sac. That was when I looked at him and said, "Give me the small one, it'll be fine. I'm a Girl Guide." He chuckled and proceeded to help me with other items. (I'll add that when I got home I had no trouble at all packing my new sleeping bag up; my Mom was quite impressed.... )

I have to thank my family, friends, and anyone and everyone I have come into contact with recently... I can barely contain my excitement and hope you don't mind my constant chatter about this upcoming trip. Ecuador is the furthest away from home I have ever been, and the idea of going to another country to making a difference in the lives of others is something I am very excited to do. I have been anxiously awaiting this journey for just over a year now. The fact that is it so close is incredible.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I look forward to sharing my stories of Ecuador with all of you and hope you continue come back to read my future posts. Thanks again, and have a lovely day!


No comments:

Post a Comment