Wednesday 10 July 2013

Fun Finds

If you set a metre high stack of card-stock in front of me and told me to put it in "rainbow order" I would happily sit there for hours sorting the colours till I was satisfied. Now, put me in my room and tell me to clean out my closets and it's barely five minutes before I decide I've had enough. You can image I wasn't very happy when my Mom asked me to help her sort through some boxes and clean out the hall closet... Though now, I can honestly say I'm glad she did. While cleaning out the boxes, making decisions on what was a cute keep-sake and what was just taking up space, we came across a mysterious old Q-Tip box. We opened it up to reveal long lost treasure: some of my Mom's old Brownie and Girl Guide badges. I eagerly ran downstairs to grab my own box of Brownie badges and Guide sash and we began comparing what her badges were like mine. The biggest change had to be in the Brownie badges, from the old brown and gold triangles to the present day orange-trimmed octagons. I was in Brownies during the transition from the brown rectangular badges with the green, yellow and red trim to the most recent badge design. When I was younger I was a little upset that my badges looked different. Now I think it's really cool to see how they have changed.


Although the shape has changed, I absolutely adore the Circle Emblems. I love how the Brownie characters and style have remained the same, even after all these years.

Mom's Elf and Sprite on the left, my Nymph and Fairy circle emblems on the right

Moving onto the Guide badges you can see that not much has changed since my Mom was a Girl Guide. The embroidery on today's badges is of course a lot more elaborate, but the shape and style remain the same. I love how both my Mom and I earned some of the same badges, I think it's really cool that I can say that. Here are some of my Mom's badges next to my Guide sash:



You know I think I might just like cleaning a little more now, knowing it may lead me to treasures like this...



No comments:

Post a Comment